Pecans are one of the most versatile, delicious, and healthy nuts available. With a great, unique taste and packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, they’re worth having in any home – as a snack or as an ingredient in recipes.
No matter what you’re in need of, there’s a type of pecan out there for you. Here are a few things to consider which can help you buy pecans that are exactly what you’re looking for.
While there are more than 500 varieties of pecans grown in the US, specific varieties don’t really vary much in terms of taste. Size and shape may change, but that’s pretty much it. As such, you won’t need to worry about the actual species of the nut. However, Louisiana pecans are grown in a location that is rich with the proper nutrients and environmental factors that the nuts need to be their best. As such, Louisiana pecans are a better choice for most.
Type Of Pecan
You can buy pecans in a number of different forms, each of them offering something unique. No matter what you’re looking for, there’s a pecan that is perfect for you. Here are some of the options and their most common uses:
- Cracked Pecans – These Louisiana pecans are pre-cracked but still in the shells. This allows you to shell them easily. Plus, you can use the shells as a substitute for ‘smoking wood’ in a smoker or on a grill.
- Halves – Pecan halves are already shelled and packaged for easy consumption. Available in numerous styles ranging from salted to plain to roasted, there are pecan halves for any taste.
- In-Shell Pecans – Pecans right off the tree, just as nature grew them. They stay fresh for a long period of time and are perfect for gifting or for your own personal use
- Pecan Meal – As pecans are chopped and packaged, plenty of flakes and smaller pieces are left behind. This pecan ‘meal’ is perfect for use in desserts, as a crust for cooking meats like fish, pork, or chicken, and more. It can even be used as a substitute for breadcrumbs in nearly any recipe.
- Pecan Treats – From pralines to candied pecans, these treats have been prepared to provide a delicious treat for anyone. Whether you’re looking for chocolate covered pecans or something totally different, you’ll have options.
Really, you only need to determine what you’re in the mood for and what you’ll be using your pecans for. Once you know that, you’ll be able to pick the type of pecan you need to buy.