It’s no secret that pecans are one of the best nuts you can add to the kitchen. Their versatility, delicious taste, and numerous health benefits mean that they can become a go-to ingredient or snack no matter what you’re planning for the day.
But what many may not realize is that there are multiple ways to buy pecans. Beyond just the basic, whole raw pecans that are common are numerous other options. Whether you’re looking for ready to go snacking, a clever ingredient for a recipe, or something else entirely, there is a way to buy pecans that will match your needs perfectly.
If you’re not convinced, just take a look at some of the options available to those looking for pecans:
• In Shell Pecans – These are pecans just as they come from the tree. You’ll have to break out the cracker and get into them, but that’s part of the fun for many. And you get a fresh tasting pecan that is as delicious as it is nutritious.
• Shelled Halves – These are perfect for those who want the basic pecan but without the hassle. They’re entirely shelled and ready to go, for use in recipes or for snacking.
• Pecan Pieces – Not all pecans come out of the shelling process whole. Pieces are great for recipes, snacking, and more, and these pecan pieces may not be in their halved state but are still a good purchase when you’re looking to add them to the kitchen.
• Cracked Pecans – Still technically in the shell, these pecans have been cracked slightly. This lets you still go through the shelling process yourself, but without the need for a cracker. Then you can use the shells for smoking foods, mulch, and more.
• Candied or Spiced Pecans – One of the best ways to buy pecans as gifts, these pecans are already candied or spiced and packed with flavor. They’re a great option for when you have a sweet tooth or want to give someone a gift they’ll love.
• Pecan Meal – Pecan meal is essentially the smallest of the pieces as well as powder and flakes from the processing of the nuts. It’s great used as a binding agent in meatloaf or as breading for your favorite fried foods.
No matter what you need, you can buy pecans that will match your recipes or taste buds. The options above are the primary ways to buy pecans, and should help you see just how versatile these nuts really are.